Sunday, February 22, 2009

Rogue hawker

Last weekend, my family went to simpang bedok for breakfast. My hubby and younger prince ate the roti prata while I had some dim sum. My elder prince was craving for fishball noodles, so we ordered a bowl for him from the supposedly famous store in one of the coffee shops.

After about 20 min, we had all finished our breakfast and the fishball noodles was still nowhere to be seen. After the elder prince went to remind the hawker about his order, we waited another 10 min. Then I went to the hawker and asked if my order was ready as the whole family had finished our breakfast. The woman assistant raised her voice at me, 'how can you talk like that? What is your table no.? You got to wait. Everyone is waiting." Then I asked how long it would take, to which she replied, "5 bowls." I repeated my question. She repeated her answer and then added, "about 10 min la."

When the noodles finally arrived, I took out a $2 note and started to count some spare change slowly and left them on the table. She was so agitated that she snatched the money from the table and stalked off. And she was telling me that I gotta wait for my food, which took about 30 min to come. I took all of 10 sec to give her the money.

Bottomline is: If you want to eat good food served by rude hawkers, be prepared to wait and be insulted. For me? No thanks. I'd rather have instant noodles.

No comments: