Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chateaus of Loire Valley

Chateau d’Amboise

After the Sunday market, we walked to the Amboise Castle. It was still drizzling and I regretted not bringing my trusty sneakers to Paris . My converse would look way cooler, I'd thought. By the time I climbed to the castle, my converse and the lower half of my jeans were soaked and I was freezing my toes off.

The castle from the outside. (Bottom)

One of the buildings in the castle, possibly a church. The Amboise castle is not very big, to begin with, so it was not really worth a visit. (Bottom)


Views from the castle and it was still drizzling...





Some paintings in the castle.

Stone staircase and my wet jeans...



Lunch time! We ate at this restaurant called Le Lion D'or outside of the town centre that served set lunch at 25 or 29 Euro for a starter and a main. Not a bad deal for the quality of food we had. Starter for me was potato souffle with escargot and little lobster. For him, it was foie gras with sliced pear. For main, I had the veal with asparagus and little lobster and him, salmon with big lobster.

Thing about ordering food in paris is that there is always an element of adventure and surprise as we do not understand the menu and depend heavily on the waiter/waitress' translation, which is not always accurate or reliable. And don't rush the process. Just wait patiently for your food like the other patient and have-lots-of-time-to-waste Parisians. I saw an old couple at a table when we first entered the restaurant to make a reservation at 1pm and left for our B&B to collect our car (so as to park there and then proceed to Chateau de Chenonceau after lunch). They were still there when we finished our lunch and left restaurant at about 2.30pm. Talk about slow food.




Potato souffle with escargot and little lobster

Foie gras with sliced pear

Veal with asparagus and little lobster


Salmon with stuffed lobster - this one elicited the most oomph.


We drove by the 'Pagoda' on the way to Chateau de Chenonceau. It was nothing to shout about but the 10 minute walk amidst the trees and the idle chat with my darling was nice.

Chateau de Chenonceau

This castle is worth the visit - it's huge with many interesting stories (scandalous and bizzare ones) about the kings and queens and other residents.


Again, another one of those 10-minute walk into the castle. But I find walking in Paris and surrounding areas very scenic and pleasant.


A chapel in the castle. Seems like the royalties like to build churches in their own premises and pray in solitude.


One of the rooms.


A boudoir of one of the queens.


When the king died, the queen mourned his death by painting the room black with black drapes and black everything. I couldn't be bothered with the names of the kings and queens but I guess I could find out in the internet if one day I wake up dying to know.


A view of the castle.



The gardener's house? Looks a little too pretty.


A lake outside the castle.

No comments: