Thursday, August 21, 2008

Switzerland - 13 Aug 2008 - Lindt & Sprungli Chocolate Factory and Bellevue Old Town

Day before departure...

Time to shop for some souvenirs to bring home. We all decided that chocolate would be the best and most thoughtful gift (and economical too ;p). Uncle tan's friend recommended the Lindt Chocolate factory, which was in Schooren, about 11 stops from Bellevue on tram no. 165. Before we even entered the place, our olfactory senses were smack with the sweet sweet smell of coco. When we entered the place, it was like chocolate heaven - lots and lots of chocolates at low low prices. The chocolates here were like 40 to 60% cheaper than those in town areas but some of the packaging was not as nice la. Aiya, who cares about packaging as long as the contents are equally yummy? So my hubby and I started piling our baskets with chocolates in all flavours and sizes. While we went on a chocolate frenzy, ah kin calmly surveyed the area and mentally planned what to buy when she goes back in 1 and half months' time. We walked out of the store with 4 big bags and about SF150 worth of chocolates. At the tram stop, we began to worry how we were going to pack our horde of precious into the luggage.
We ate lunch at Little Saigon, which sold very expensive 'chap cai beng'. It was near to the tram stop from ah kin's house. Then we left the chocolates at ah kin's house and headed out to do some last minute shopping. We left ah kin at home to 'jaga' the chocolates. No la, she had too much excitement from the chocolate factory excursion that we asked her to stay at home to rest.

On our way to chocolate heaven.

The place that provided pleasure for the eyes, nose and tongue. Too bad there was no guided tour of the factory. Could only buy chocolates.

At the tram-stop outside the factory, waiting for Mr Sim to take picture. Ah kin: "Aiya, your hubby very 'beh zi dong' leh. Take picture so long. He don't know my hands are itching for those chocolates meh?!" Suisui: 'Cool down. The chocolates will still be there one. Give you one chocolate from my pocket first la." Great picture story huh? ;p

Four big bags of precious. Mua ha ha...

In our afternoon shopping spree, I bought a flik flak watch each for jeremy and myself since joshua already had a watch. I also bought a pair of cerjo sunglasses as my existing one had scratches. My favourite phrase which I had mastered very well during this trip was 'I need this.' These were swiss-made products so should last me for some time. Didn't buy any swatch as the prices were similar to s'pore's. Throughout the entire swiss stay, my proudest find was my red wind-breaker cos I couldn't find a similar one at about S$100, which was my budget. Then it was the brown leather belt which I bought out of need as I forgot to bring my belt. This belt held up my jeans for the entire swiss stay. I bought the belt from Tally Weijl, which is like Fox in s'pore at only SF9.90.

Some of the things I bought during my swiss stay. Clockwise from top: pink top from Schaffhausen at SF9.90, orange dye shirt from tally weijl at SF5, pink sweater from zara kids at SF9.90 (I also bought an orange sweater from zara kids at same price which I wore to appenzell), green tank top from tally weijl at SF5, white t from Schaffhausen at SF3.95 and sheer flower blouse from C&A at SF12.90. I also bought a green dress from C&A at SF14.90. As a reputed budget-hunter, I only look out for stuff that were cheap and nice or it had to be unique to interest me. I have too much clothes so I had to be very selective.

In the evening, we all met uncle tan at the main train station and walked to Bellevue for dinner. He had made a reservation at Restaurant Swiss Chuchi for cheese fondue. While entering the restaurant, I spotted 2 big men eating this sausage and rosti meal. I knew I told myself no more sausages for the rest of the swiss stay but this one called out to me. And it turned out to be a beautiful relationship. This beauty had cheese and bacon wrapped inside and out with some yummy brown sauce. It was a pleasurable but short-lived romance.


Showing off my new cerjo sunglasses.

Our first cheese fondue meal. The alcohol was a bit strong but the cheesy crusty residue towards the end was marvelous. We had fun scrapping them off.

Although this was the second time we went to Bellevue, we did not explore the place cos the previous time, my hubby was climbing the tower while I was busy shopping. A rather nice place to walk. Very crowded for a Wednesday evening.

The cheese fondue left us all very thirsty, so we went around looking for a place to drink. Then we chanced upon this remote place with many people eating al fresco, so we decided to walk in. The interior was a pleasant surprise. It was like entering into a tropical country, with palm trees and bamboo fans and lots of tropical plants. The owner, who must be mexican, was very hospitable, shouting for us to go right in. Although we only ordered 2 beer (futchsberg) and 2 desserts (chocolate cake and vanilla ice-cream and some creme brulee with fruits that came with burning alcohol), he gave us a plate of complimentary snack - some fried banana with salsa.

We took a tram back to Smiede Wiedikon and on the tram ride, somehow the topic of 's**t' came about. It was a gross but funny way to end the outing.





The first dessert. The second dessert suffered a quick demise before we had a chance to take a picture of it.



Two empty plates, very well cleared out and 4 very happy stomachs.

The night view of Bellevue was beautiful.


Passed by Migros on our way back. Migros, our favourite 'NTUC' in swiss. We went there a couple of times in the morning at about 8am to get fresh bread and croissant.

Schmiede Wiedikon, the region where ah kin stays. I like the sound of the name.

The tram station where all our journeys began. Rather sad not to see it again.

Tomorrow we would bid farewell...

No comments: