Sunday, May 22, 2011

London: Shopping, Eating and Musical

I didn't think I would love London this much. I guess the nice weather and the freedom to do what I wanted at my own time for 4 whole days was the main attraction. London is a great place to shop and eat. Although the exchange rate is about S$2 for 1 pound, most things are affordable, if you look hard enough.
































































Shopping


My favourite shopping places:

1. Primark, Oxford Street - tops are about 5 to 8 pounds on average with cool high street label designs but long queue for fitting room, patience and time essential
2. H&M, Knightsbridge & Oxford Street - pricier than Primark but cheaper than most high street labels, tops are about 12 to 24 pounds on average and dresses between 15 to 35 pounds
3. Marks & Spencer (M&S), everywhere - good quality underwear & slips and cakes
4. Nex - nice jeans with various lengths and a petite collection
5. Neal's Yard, Covent Garden & Borough Market - great natural facial products and travel size essential oils


A coat from H&M. Marked down to 15 pounds. Had to get it.
































Primark entrance at 1130am on Sunday. Young and old crowding outside waiting to get a piece of the action. (Bottom)


























Harrods is a posh mall with interior that resembles a 5 star hotel. Each restroom had a restroom lady greeting you and offering you perfumes that are sold in the stores for sampling.










































Harrods food hall. This is no food court. Everything here are of good quality and very expensive.




















Eating - London's glorious food

Our first dinner In London was in Bugis Street Restaurant in Millenium hotel, just across the street from our hotel at Cromwell Kensington Holiday Inn. This restaurant and the Millenium hotel were owned by Singaporeans. The Penang fried kway tiao and garlic pork ribs are ok if you really miss Asian food.






































We had Indian curry, apparently London's new national dish, on the second night. It was very good and spicy too.






















This Victorian cake was bought at M&S in one of the afternoons when I was feeling like I needed cake. I went back hotel early with this precious and ate nearly half of it.





















My most expensive lunch in London was at this dim sum store in Harrods food hall. I was craving for dim sum somehow and ordered the set that set me back 28 pounds. I was expecting some major gorging but when I finished the 3 dishes of 5 dumplings, 1 scallop and 3 small fishcake, and was told that there wasn't anymore, I sat there drinking my pretty Jasmine tea and thinking, 'That was the most expensive dim sum I had ever eaten.'











































Another one of those afternoons, tired of shopping, and finding myself in the company of a good pastry. Laduree is a famous French pattiserie. This eclair cost me 3.50 pounds. It tasted really good with the Duchy milk I bought from Waitrose.






























































My hubby packed Gourmet burgers back to the hotel one of the nights. I had the burger with avocado and bacon - it was so juicy and yummy and huge. It was so good I nearly finished the whole damn burger. The onion rings were awesome too. Man, I really ate a lot in London. Luckily, I walked a lot too. So I didn't gain any weight, much to the suprise and disgust of many people.
































































On the advice of my hubby, I went to check out South Kensington to have a look-see. Didn't find anything new there, just the usual high street boutiques. I was hungry as I practically skipped the boring egg and bacon English breakfast provided by the hotel. I went into a shop called Claire, which could also be found in Australia, bought some cute mirrors and asked the counter girl for lunch recommendation. She said to go to Sticky Fingers for some wholesome English food. The place looked more American than English but was opened by one of the Rolling Stones member, who was English. Anyhow, I ordered half a slab of dry-rub ribs with coleslaw and onion rings. This was, like, kids' meal but I was diasappointed that I could not even finish the very delicious onion rings, so the sticky toffee pudding was out of the question. The waiter, who looked like one of the Glee cast, had the forsight to stop me from ordering dessert at the outset.







































Luckily, on the second last day, I had the opportunity to taste a traditional English pudding at one of the pubs in Covent Garden. Actually, it was a small restaurant above the pub. The pub in London in daytime is a little deceiving. It looked really quiet on the outside, until you stick your head in, which was what I did and got a shock. It was full of men drinking beer. I walked calmly to the bartender and asked, 'Do you have pudding?' The bartender, after looking at me for a few seconds and realising that I was a tourist, said, 'Upstairs.' The restaurant looked very different, with sweet old ladies and young families having their afternoon tea. I ordered a toffee pudding with vanilla ice-cream. Not sure if all English pudding taste like this but it was rich and gooey - my kind of afternoon dessert. Wanted to order tea but was worried about the caffeine affecting my good sleep record in Europe, so gave it a miss.












































After watching a play on the last night in London, I told my hubby, 'Let's check out that pub that is near Gloucester Tube and 5 minute walk our hotel, called Stanhope Arms. It looks interesting and sells traditional fish and chips.' It turned out to be a great place to hang out. No loud music or heavy smoke. Just a bunch of blokes and a few group of girls having beer and chatting. The fish and chips was really traditional, served with peas. We also ordered an English beer called London Pride. It was light and not bitter.











































On the last day, my hubby was free to keep me company, so he suggested going to the Borough Market as I had lamented not having the chance to go to a London market. Dang! I was planning to have another go at Primark at Oxford Street. But this market adventure with my hubby turned out to be really fun.


























































One of the shops at Borough Market sells the yummiest-looking stuff. I bought a slice of Victorian cake and a slice of Fudgepacker Brownie with toffee bits. Both were heavenly.











































We had so much fun tasting all the cheese, dips, strange sausages and bought a chunk of parmagiano cheese from this bloke.
























The truffle olive oil from this stall was amazingly fragrant, so despite the glass bottle, we bought a black and white each of truffle oil. They gave us so much pleasure when we ate them at home with crusty bread bought from Cedele and Swiss Bake.




















One of those crazy English royal cakes that were sold everywhere to celebrate Will & Kate's wedding.





















Spotted this cheese sandwich stall and recalled that I saw something similar in Samantha Brown's programme, so I took a number and joined the queue. It was one of the best things we ate in London. These guys put 3 types of cheese, shallots and garlic between 2 slices of sourdough bread and press them down onto a hot pan until everything melt into a gooey delight.







































The fish & chips at the market was better than the one at the Stanshope Arms pub, especially the codfish.






































Musical
























Wicked is one of the most popular musical in London and won several awards. It tells the story of Elphaba, the future Wicked Witch of the West, and her friendship with Galinda, later Glinda, the Good Witch of the North (in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz novel, Glinda is the Good Witch of the South). Their friendship struggles through their opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, their reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba's public fall from grace.

The performers were great singers, especially the one who played Elphaba. The performance was highly entertaining and had a lot of hilarious moments, especially Galinda's bimbotic manners. We had a great time.







































No comments: