Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Notre Dame de Paris, Montmartre and Eiffel Tower

Vosges des Place

We read in the website that Rue de Rivoli was a shopping street with H&M and the like but an hour and an eclair later, we ended up in Vosges des Place, an ancient square built when Louis the 13th was in power. Victor Hugo once stayed in house no. 6 in that square.


Some views of the square.












Bronze statue of Louis the 13th.

A small alley. (Bottom)







With no shopping potential in sight, we headed to Notre Dame Paris. As it was our second last day in Paris, we were hit with the sudden realisation that time was running out. The darnest thing about this day was that it was the first day of the time of the month. All the walking made me tired and my insides hurt. I needed a place to rest. At close to noon, we reached Notre Dame and I was looking for a place to rest, go toilet and perhaps eat. This bistro had a number of cuttings and accolades, including one from Tripadvisor, so what the hey, as long as it had a toilet, we were in.

The bistro near Notre Dame was managed by a friendly blond chap. But my mood was foul. My food came really late and I hated the men that day. They did not understand that a woman on her first day of inconvenience needed rest, a clean toilet and fast food. Why won't they learn?



The escargot was alright but my hubby refused to eat them, saying they didn't smell good.





My duck breast with mashed potatoes and tomoto was pretty good.




The lamb stew that had me stewing. It took so long to cook this dish and it is the Parisians' practice is to serve meals at the same table at the same time.




Just a few shops away, we found the real Berthillon. We knew it weas the real deal because there was a posh counter displaying Berthllion products.



So many choices, so little tummy space...



We had some light sorbet - lime and strawberry for me and cherry and mango for him.






Notre Dame de Paris

With a good rest and a full tummy, I was ready for Notre Dame de Paris. The cathedral was polished, grand and crowded. Some of the sculptures were even colour painted.









The confession box in Chartres was blackish and dirty but we had great fun playing in it. This one at Paris was cordoned off, for a good reason, I guess.


A wooden replica of the cathedral.




Montmartre


We only had time for just one more tourist attraction before we head back to the B&B to shower, take a quick dinner and then go to Eiffel. Monmartre is an artist town as well as a red light district. How to miss such a place?

After we alighted from the metro, we took the 30-minute tram ride around the area. I would like to go back again in the night the time I'm there. I was sure the mystic and vibrancy of the place was lost in the day.



The famous Moulin Rouge. (Bottom)




On board the tram with my favourite drink - Orangina which only cost less than S$1.



At the artist square and loving my new Longchamp bag.














Eiffel Tower


The Paris icon was indeed romantic, especially at sunset. We booked a 9pm slot online and reached the tower just when the sun was setting. The view was gorgoeus. What I did not count on was a tiff with my spouse atop the most romantic place on earth. I told him he owed me a sunset in Paris, and I have not stop reminding him.







At 10pm, the tower became a fireworks itself, emblazoned with thousands of dazzling lights. Some people may find this tacky but it moved me. I'm sure many successful proposals happended here at 10pm.





No comments: