Friday, June 13, 2008

Flying the Classy Sky

Just came back from Phuket last night. Because the plane was over-booked, my hubby, being a Krisflyer member, got bumped up to a business class seat. He offered the seat to me and sat with the princes back at the cattle class seats. He is a great man, he is. The princes protested initially, each wanting to be on the business class seat but being the 'brain' of the family, I got to decide. Hiak hiak...

The business class seat was so much wider and longer with a proper leg rest. The treatment at business class was also very different. I was recognised as Ms Sim, rather than passenger 8C. Within the first few minutes that I sat down, I was offered a wet towel and a glass of either orange or apple juice. Then I was asked what food and drink I would like. The lady beside me ordered a ginger ale and I thought, 'Hmm... that sounds classy.' So I chose a ginger ale too. Then I was offered a range of newspapers and magazines to choose from. Within minutes, the air hostess came back with my drink in a glass and set up my table with a table cloth and a cloth napkin. Then came the wine glasses and the set of cutlery. I have a basket of breads to choose from - garlic bread, wheat bread, ciabatta with garlic mushroom and something else. I chose the garlic bread. Then came the dinner - prawn salad with sundried tomatoes, roast chicken with penne and some coconut mousse cake for dessert, all served in proper porcelain plates like in a restaurant. I didn't like the chicken so I asked for the ciabatta bread. The breads were delicious and warm, unlike the cold hard bun we get in cattle class. And my ginger ale was constantly replenished.

Time passed by quickly in business class as I have the magazines and newspaper to read. And another good thing about business class is there is 1 toilet just for the classy people. 1 toilet to about 1o people versus 1 toilet to about 50 people in cattle class. So I don't need to queue up to use the toilet. Now I know why people pay so much to be in business class.

It was a good experience for me but I still won't pay that much cos I could use the money for shopping and other holiday expenses. But there is always a chance that I may get bumped up to business class again in my next trip, as long as I fly with my hubby :)

No comments: