Sunday, June 1, 2008

DUH Recipes for Rookie Cooks

I have never taken home econs in school or attended any cooking or baking classes, except for 1 baking class which my colleague brought me and which turned me off cooking for a long time cos it looked like some intricate procedures. The myriad of ingredients and complicated steps made me feel quite stupid really.

Now that I am staying at home, I have to learn how to cook very simple express lunches for 2 very fussy princes. In the beginning, there was darkness... as my 2 precious criticised my cooking and I made them eat up whatever was in front of them in return for their ingratitute. Those were stressful times. Then I began to surf the web for ways to improve on my cooking. I realise that watching Jamie and Nigella was just not good enough, although they inspired me. They made cooking look easy and fun and sexy even. But alas, they fail to mention the heat, the preparation time and the washing up afterwards. After 1 and half months of trial and error, by jove, I've finally got it! At least I think I have cos the princes have stopped their whining and even gave occasional thumbs-up. Below are dummy-proof recipes that will work with culinary-challenged people like me.




Home-made chicken nuggets (for 1 adult, 1 hungry pre-teen and 1 kid)

This recipe goes well with hotdog buns or spaghetti or salad. The majesties and the hubby have given 5 'wows' to these home-made nuggets. Believe me, I have been given 'phooeys' for my food before. Preparation and cooking time, including the marinating is roughly 45 min.

Ingredients
2 medium-size chicken breasts
4 tbs teriyaki sauce
some ground black pepper
about 15 pieces of Ritz plain biscuits, crushed with rolling pin or any bottle
some flour
an egg, beaten
cooking oil ( I use canola oil cos more healthy)

Method
1. Place the chicken breasts in a plastic bag and pound them with a rolling pin or any hammer-like equipment until a little flatten. This is to facilitate the absorption of the marinate and make the meat tender.

2. Cut the chicken breasts into small strips. Marinate them in the teriyaki sauce and pepper for at least 20 minutes.

3. Prepare your nuggets before frying them so that they will all turn out evenly cooked. Coat the marinated nuggets with flour, dip into the egg and then coat them with the biscuit crumbs. Put them aside.

4. Pour enough oil into the cooking pan to ensure that at it covers more than half way up the nuggets. Use medium heat.

5. Slowly lower the nuggets into the frying pan. I use a glass cover to cover the frying pan to prevent the oil from splashing all over the floor and myself. Turn the nuggets over after about 1 minute or until brown.

I usually serve these with buns, cheese, lettuce/tomatoes and some mayo. They are also good with spaghetti. To cook simple spaghetti, just cook the pasta according to instructions, with some salt and oilve oil. Then just heat up some pasta sauce and pour them over the spaghetti and serve the chicken nuggets on the side. If you want the spaghetti meal to be more indulgent, cut up some bacon, fry them and sprinkle them over the spaghetti.

I am still perfecting my chicken claypot rice recipe. The last one tasted good (according to the majesties) but could do better. Will share this in next blog.

2 comments:

FlatFlatCat said...

I owe you some idiot proof recipe... how about having a cook out at your place or mine? Recipes are easier transfered in person.

eunice said...

Thanks for the nice gesture. I'd love to learn a thing or two from you and anyone who is willing to teach. Gotta to find a good time though. As you already know by now, I'm always busy. Afternoons are better. Let me know when is a good time for you and we will arrange.